Every spring, I try to give my wardrobe a good edit: culling pieces that I no longer wear, and considering additions that will seamlessly fit into the rotation. I look for items that are polished and city-appropriate but comfortable enough to spend the day walking and Tube riding, not to mention sturdy enough to withstand the not-forecast-but-hey-it’s-a-quick-rainshower London weather. Here are the pieces that made my shopping list for spring 2014:
- Céline Edge Bag File this one under “Not Needed but Definitely Wanted”. I have a handbag problem, and thus find it hard to simply browse Céline handbags. The Edge bag has been tempting me for a while, and now that it comes in a smaller size — and the color gray! — I was a goner. A pricey indulgence, but it gives any outfit I’m wearing an instant upgrade.
- Coach Soft Wallet in Saffiano I’ve decided that I need two wallets for my life to proceed smoothly when moving between the UK and the US — carrying around “everything” seems like a recipe for disaster in my book. Once I bought the Edge bag, I started the hunt for a wallet to hold my UK credit cards and cash. I spotted this Soft Wallet while browsing the Coach store on Bond Street. It’s the perfect size to store the necessities, but of course I had to go and fall in love with the peach/rose color, which at this point is not available in London. I am still on the case.*** Wish me luck.
- Kjaer Weis blush in ‘Desired Glow’ I am a convert to cream blush — it looks like you’re glowing from within instead of reading “makeup”. Kjaer Weis’ formulations are a dream, and they’re even easier to apply now that I’ve learned how to “pat on”. I think ‘Desired Glow’ will be the perfect addition to my makeup wardrobe: a subtle but healthy flush of color (like on this gorgeous model**) works for me.
- Diptyque Eau Rose Hand Emulsion I seem to go through hand cream by the vat since moving to London. Diptyque’s version smells ever so lightly of roses, and is small enough to toss in your coat pocket.
- Citizens of Humanity ‘Emerson’ Slim Fit Boyfriend Jean in Crosby I’m a boyfriend jeans kind of girl, and I’ve come to rely on Citizens, for their reliable cut (slouchy but not sloppy) as well as their super soft denims, like the the new-for-spring “Premium Vintage” washes. I came across Citizen’s Emerson jean while checking out the Selfridges denim department, and it was love at first try-on. The jeans prices in London are crazy $$$/£££: couldn’t wait this time, but will definitely be stocking up next time I’m “home”.
- Birkenstock ‘Arizona’ Sandal in Birko Flor Basalt This pick feels rather “fashion victim”, but I figure the combination of comfortable sandals + being on trend is a win-win. Let’s blame Phoebe Philo for this one, and cheer for happy feet this summer.
- JW Anderson Silk Canvas Reverse Seam Skirt The raw-edged hem takes a relatively conservative skirt and gives it a bit of edge. The seaming tones down the volume that usually comes with pleats. (Also good.) And it’s black. Perfect.
image credits: 1. purseforum.com (a really great resource for the handbag obsessed) 2. coach.com 3. kjaerweis.com 4. diptyque.com 5. oliverclothing.com 6. birkenstock.co.uk 7. theline.com
** The team at Kjaer Weis posted this photo to Instagram a few weeks back and I went bananas for the model’s über healthy makeup. They kindly passed it along for me to pin and share with you.
*** Update: Since writing this post, I have taken myself off the case. I have emailed and tweeted Coach, in hopes that someone — anyone! — would be able to tell me if this wallet style/color was coming to London’s Bond Street Coach store so that I could purchase it. The only relevant response I’ve received has been a suggestion to write a letter (so very 20th century!) to Coach, attn: International. And if you think that is an effective means of communication in 2014, you’re much less cynical than I am. My follow-up email went unanswered. (Validation for my cynicism!) Though I typically do not write about negative experiences, I must say this experience left me feeling very disenchanted with the brand.